Monday 1 July 2013

Seller in the Spotlight: Eclectic Chair



My name is Heather, and I am the upholsterer in Fabrication, called Eclectic Chair.

After doing a degree in French and Spanish, I spent the next 20 years working in the restaurant industry in Manchester, managing one of the best known restaurants in Manchester for 10 years until 2006. However, in the year 2000, I started an upholstery course, and I immediately got the bug for upholstery. I could see a massive potential for restoring furniture, but also I could see a creative opportunity.

Upholstery has been around forever, but it is a wonderful way to recycle. Furniture made pre 1980s, tends to be made from better quality wood, and it is only the fabric and stuffings which perish, all of which can be replaced. People don’t always realise there is no need to throw furniture away. It can be completely transformed with a little imagination.

I tend to prefer furniture from the 1950s to the 1970s, this period is known as ‘mid-century modern’, and the furniture has clean, unfussy lines, often with tapered slightly splayed legs. Because of its simplicity of design, you can really jazz it up with your fabric.

I love to juxtapose modern and antique, so either a modern chair with a vintage piece of fabric, or an antique piece of furniture with something fresh and new in terms of fabric, colour and pattern.
The best upholsterers are perfectionists, and I constantly strive to make sure that my work is of the highest quality.


When Fabrication came along, it was my dream come true! A shop where I could display my work to be seen by the people of Leeds, but which didn’t rob me of my profit. Before it I had nowhere to showcase my work. I have also benefited tremendously from the knowledge of the other designer makers with whom I work in the shop, and since it opened 6 months ago, my work has been flying out of the door, proving that there is a market for it, and giving my confidence a huge boost. Long may it continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment