Monday 12 May 2014

Spotlight on the seller...Sustainable Thoughts

At the heart of my business is my love for the environment and the natural beauty that exists in the world. I am however, greatly concerned by the global issues that threaten to upset the delicate balance.
It is for this reason – sustainability of resources - that I choose to use pebbles and mixed media to create outdoor paving slabs, which are fun and also complement and beautify outdoor spaces. Where possible, I reuse old crockery and ceramics - because where will it ALL go? Your loft? Charity shops? Landfill?
I derive great satisfaction from creating something unique whilst working with unloved treasures, ranging from grandma’s old china to tired tables ready for the tip and ‘combtrasting’, (new combining & contrasting), it with new tesserae to make a design work. It inspires me to see these precious pieces transformed - with a new lease on life and saved from landfill !!! Instead, these carefully crafted pieces will bring joy and mindfulness of living the three R’s.
When I am not doing mosaics, I love making new paper from bits of paper from the recycling box !
It is fun and really therapeutic making different types of paper using different techniques with a mould and deckle. Paper quilling is another one of passions and I derive hours of great satisfaction from twirling strips of paper and creating exquisite effects with the coils of paper.
I am a qualified teacher and community artist so if you would like to do a taster session in mosaics, papermaking or paper quilling for individuals or groups please feel free to contact me. Wendy is running a number of classes for us this summer so please see the website for more details

No comments:

Post a Comment